Collaborative Web API Design
An API design that looks good to the designer may not be the best design to solve real-world problems. Following an API design process encourages communication within the organization and between the organization and the developers ultimately tasked with integrating the API.
This 3-day hands-on workshop presents a design process that is flexible to meet the needs of a single API product or mid-to-large scale enterprise API platform. It combines an outside-in design approach coupled with techniques used in Domain-Driven Design (DDD). The process focuses on the delivery of business value with a customer-centric focus.
The workshop is designed for product managers, architects, and developers responsible for designing and delivering internal or public web APIs.
What You Will Learn
- Create alignment of understanding and scope across business, product, and technology
- Implement collaborative techniques such as job stories, big picture EventStorming, and activity mapping
- Map business and customer requirements into digital capabilities that will form the basis of one or more APIs to deliver the desired outcomes
- Identify bounded contexts and implement context mapping to identify APIs, organize teams, and encourage reuse
- Create a high-level REST-based API design for each identified API to meet the desired outcomes identified during alignment
- Document the API design using the OpenAPI Specification (OAS)
- Ensure successful delivery by using various prototyping and mocking techniques to identify and address design issues early
This training course is for you because…
This training emphasizes not only the technical details of designing an API, but also the skills and processes necessary to incorporate non-technical concerns when designing an API. Product managers as well as experienced developers will learn to think of API design from an outcome-based perspective, all in a collaborative format.
Adopting an API Design-First Approach
What is API design first? How can the Align-Define-Design-Refine process help guide your organization? James explains here.
What is different about this training?
Listen to our podcast interview!
Vaughn Vernon and James Higginbotham discuss APIs and how startups and large companies benefit from his work.